Skip to main content

Drop (ten minute writing)

  So here's what I do. I generate a random word on my phone. Set my timer for ten minutes. Then just write about that word. Could be a story. Could be anything. Could be good, could be bad...

Drop

It's all about perspective really. I mean sitting in the car on a cold, dreary Monday morning and seeing a drop of rain that quickly turns into several million drops of rain is pretty miserable. Then in summer, when I'm burning my brains out just trying to stay cool and in the shade, I can't say there is nothing I wouldn't do to make it rain suddenly. I always say I'd rather be cold than warm- you can always warm up if you're cold, but you can't always cool down if you're hot. Again this is about your perspective. I like to be comfortable and this is the only perspective I have. 

A drop of rain to me though is generally miserable. It reminds me that I am in England and that life can be dull and boring sometimes. However, let's take ourselves to Africa in the depths of a drought. That first big drop of rain to those folk and it's practically party time. It is literally a life saver. Funny how the exact same thing that evoke two completely different reactions in people. One is a life giver and the other is a life sucker-outer (is that a word?).

I cast my mind back to when I lived in Australia in 2005/6. What a beautiful country by the way with lovely people. Go if you ever get the opportunity. After a nice hot sunny day at the cricket club, many of the lads were sipping their beers on the outfield (I'd day luscious outfield but their outfields cannot compare to those of our native England- maybe it's the rain...). Suddenly the whip crack of thunder echoed above followed by big fat rain drops cascading from the sky. I hauled myself up onto my feet and made for the pavilion (they call them rooms, pavilion sounds better). I just looked at the Australians and they were still sat in the pouring rain. I suppose they weren't accustomed to such a plentiful supply of rain like I was- I'd spent 18 years living in Bury and 3 years in Sheffield- both not known for their dry seasons. They stayed out in the rain until their clothes stuck to their bodies. This still perplexed me but it really brought into sharp focus that people didn't always think in the same way as me but that was ok. It wasn't that I was wrong and they were right or vice versa, that wasn't even the question or the point. The point was that it's all about perspective. The thing I reject could just be the thing that others may covet. 

Still, having said that, I still don't like rain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog